Here is my vegetarian nut roast recipe – but unfortunately, I am allergic to most nuts, so I have had to adapt my vegetarian nut roast recipe for the nuts I am able to eat – cashew. I have in the past served this vegetarian nut roast recipe as a Christmas meal to vegetarian friends and it has gone down really well.
In fact, some meat-eaters don’t realise that no meat has been served in my recipe. This vegetarian nut roast recipe can be served either hot or cold. We usually have the leftovers sliced on a sandwich the next day. Yummy.
When I was pregnant I struggled to eat meat and my vegetarian nut roast recipe was the meal I cooked for the family the day my second son was born, so it holds a special place in my heart.
This recipe serves 6 to 8 people.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Onion (chopped finely)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 225g Cashew Nuts
- 110g Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 3 Medium Parsnips (cooked and mashed with a little butter)
- 1tsp Rosemary
- 1/2tsp Thyme
- 1tsp Yeast Extract
- 150ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 225g Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2tbsp Tomato Purée
- First of all preheat the oven to 180C gas mark 4. You will also need a 900g loaf tin which needs to be greased.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- In a food processor or with a stick blender, grind the cashew nuts and add them to the bowl.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onion and garlic until they are soft.
- Now add these to the bowl with the cashew nuts and breadcrumbs, making sure you scrape out all the juices.
- Mix in the beaten egg and then stir in the mashed parsnips, rosemary and thyme.
- In a jug dissolve the yeast extract into the stock, season well and pour into the bowl.
- Mix until all combined.
- Heat a frying pan and fry the sliced mushrooms, once the juices begin to come out and the mushrooms are soft add the tomato purée.
- Now put half your parsnip mixture in the base of your loaf tin and press down.
- Pour over the mushrooms and again press down firmly.
- Pour the remaining parsnip mixture over the top and press down and smooth.
- Cover the tin with foil and bake in the oven for one hour.
- Once it is cooked let it stand for 10 minutes before you remove it from the tin.This vegetarian nut roast recipe can be served either hot or cold x