This is a lovely light soup, with great flavour. I hope you enjoy this version of tomato soup, it’s so easy to make and the lentils make it a bit thicker and they are so good for you. This recipe serves 4, but it’s very easy to double up and it freezes very well.
- 50g Red Lentils
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 400g Can of Plum Tomatoes
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2tsp Dried Basil
- 1.5 litres Vegetable Stock
- 75g Small Pasta Shapes
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan to Garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic.
- Put the red lentils in the pan with the tin tomatoes, tomato purée, dried basil and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool a little so that you don’t burn yourself.
- Use a stick blender and blitz until smooth – if you do this in a food processor then you’ll have to do it in two batches.
- Return to the pan, check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil and add the pasta, lower the heat and simmer for 8-12 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls with Parmesan sprinkled on top.
- Serve with some lovely bread.