Here is my swiss cheesy bacon bake recipe. It’s great on a cold winter night as it’s very filling. I like to serve with baked beans!
- 300g Smoked Rindless Bacon
- 700g Onions, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 900g Old Potatoes
- 300ml Creme Fraiche
- 1tsp Dried Thyme
- 225g Gruyere or Emmental Cheese (grated)
- 300ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop the bacon and fry it in its own fat until crispy.
- Remove from the pan and put on a plate for later.
- Fry the chopped onion in the residue of the fat from the bacon, add the sugar and cook over a moderate heat until caramelised, this will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to stop from sticking.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into thick slices and put in a pan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and leave them to cool a little don’t leave to cool completely as they can discolour.
- Mix the Creme fraiche, thyme and salt and pepper into the potatoes.
- Butter a 2-litre shallow ovenproof dish.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with half the potatoes, layer over the onions, then the bacon.
- Use two-thirds of the cheese to cover the potatoes, onions and bacon.
- Pour over the remaining potatoes, pour in the stock and cover with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 200C/gas 6 until golden brown and the potatoes are tender.