This spicy chicken pasty recipe is great for picnics and lunch boxes. As everything is in them all you need is a salad, they are like their own little lunch box. This spicy chicken pasty recipe might look complicated, but broken down into making pastry, making filling and assembly it feels a lot easier. Don’t be put off by pastry, it is so easy to make. Make this spicy chicken pasty recipe and serve it to your friends, they will be so impressed.
- Rapeseed Oil
- 1 Finely Sliced Medium Onion
- 3 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 20g Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 Finely Chopped Green Chilli
- 1tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/2tsp Hot Chilli Powder
- 1/4tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Chicken Breasts (skinned and boned)
- 2 Medium Potatoes (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- A handful of Frozen Peas
- 150ml Water
- 3tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 2tbsp Cornflour
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- 450g Plain Flour
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 175g Cold Butter
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 125ml Cold Water
- Beaten Egg to Glaze
- Start with making the filling – place a pan of salted water to boil.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks.
- Once the water it is boiling add the potatoes, bring back to the boil and cook for 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes and set to one side until later.
- In a frying pan heat the oil and gently fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli until soft.
- Cut the chicken breast up into small pieces, remember they are going in a pasty so everything needs to be small.
- Add to the pan with the onions and stir to combine, stir in the cornflour.
- Sprinkle in the spices, then add the cooked potatoes, frozen peas and water.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the water has nearly evaporated.
- Season and add chopped coriander to taste.
- Set to one side to cool completely.
- Now for the pastry – in a large bowl mix together the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cold butter and chop with a knife into small pieces and then go in with your hands then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and a little of the cold water.
- Stir around with a butter knife, it will begin to form clumps, add more water until the mixture comes together, then go in with your hands and bring together to form a softball.
- Wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Once everything is cold you are ready to assemble.
- Divide the pastry into eight and divide the filling into eight.
- Roll the dough balls into a circle and add an eighth of the filling.
- Brush the edges with water and bring together to form a pastie shape and press the edges together. Repeat until you have 8 pasties.
- Place on a tray and brush with the beaten egg white leftover from the pastry.
- Place in a preheated oven 200C/Gas 6 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.Serve with a simple salad as you have everything in the pasty.
I hope you enjoy my spicy chicken pasty recipe x