This beef and cheese pie is not a pie in the traditional sense, as the topping is made from scrunched up filo pastry, which is wonderful for making all sorts of dishes into an easy beef and cheese pie. I always keep frozen spinach in my freezer as if I buy fresh I will forget to use is and then end up with a bag of slimy green stuff lurking at the back of the fridge. Mixing the spinach with cream cheese is a great way to get green vegetables into your children. Mine did not even notice they were eating it!
I quite often make up the beef early, leave it to cool completely and finish off when I am ready to finish. This does look impressive when it is bought to the table and your friends will think you have spent hours in the kitchen. The long cooking time really enhances the flavours in the beef, and it is well worth using sun-dried tomato purée for your beef and cheese pie.
This beef and cheese pie serves 6-8.
- 2 Onions
- 750g Minced Beef
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 x 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Sun-Dried Tomato Puree
- 300g sliced Chestnut Mushrooms
- Pinch of Sugar
- 450g defrosted Frozen Spinach (water squeezed out)
- 300g Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 175g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- A packet of Filo Pastry
- Melted Butter
- Grab a 2.5 Litre wide ovenproof dish.
- Heat a large frying pan.
- Dry fry the minced beef and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Drain off any fat before adding the chopped onion and garlic.
- Fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Sprinkle the cornflour into the pan and stir through.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and sliced chestnut mushrooms.
- Add a pinch of sugar if the tomatoes need to be sweetened and season.
- Cover the pan and bring to the boil.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then turn the heat down and simmer for about an hour on the hob.
- Turn the heat off and pour into your serving dish and leave to go completely cold.
- Squeeze out any excess water from the frozen spinach and roughly chop.
- In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese, eggs and cheddar.
- Season well and then add the chopped spinach.
- Once the beef is cold, spread the cream cheese mixture over the top.
- Brush sheets of filo pastry with melted butter and place of the top of the cream cheese.
- With the remaining filo scrunch up and arrange over the top of the pastry.
- Brush with remaining butter and bake in the oven at 200C/gas 6 for 35 minutes until bubbling and hot through.
- Serve with a green salad.
I hope you enjoy x